A driving licence is issued based on the entitlement to drive granted by the competent Police Force authority (traffic inspectorate).
Before the entitlement to drive may be granted, an individual shall:
- Complete a driving training in a driving school accredited in the Slovak Republic, prescribed for getting the driving licence of the respective category, or a special training;
- Be medically fit to drive a motor vehicle of the respective category;
- Be permanently or temporarily residing in the Slovak Republic for at least 6 months;
- Pass a driving proficiency test (‘proficiency test’) or a special exam or to acquire the entitlement to drive motor vehicles by completing a specialised training;
- Meet the minimum age requirement;
- Have normal residence in the Slovak Republic or have been studying in Slovakia for at least 6 months;
- Meet specific obligations provided under the Act on road traffic if the person is subject to them.
In order to get a driving licence, a person shall not:
- Have a driving ban ordered by a court or other competent authority of the Slovak Republic;
- Be obliged to undergo a medical or metal fitness check or proficiency test under the orders of the competent body;
- Have a seized driving licence;
- Have the entitlement to drive withdrawn;
- Be subject to a ban from driving in another state;
- Have a driving licence issued by a different European Economic Area (EEA) Member State withdrawn, restricted, suspended or cancelled by another EEA State;
- Have a driving licence issued by the Slovak Republic withdrawn, restricted, suspended or cancelled by another EEA State;
- Have a driving licence issued by the Slovak Republic or another state with granted entitlement to drive the category of vehicles, for which an application for a driving licence is filed, or an equivalent category.
Minimum age requirements
Permanent or temporary residence for a minimum period of 185 days in the calendar year the individual files for a driving licence or in the previous calendar year, or being a student in the Slovak territory for a period of at least 6 months.
Normal residence in the Slovak territory or being a student in the Slovak territory for a period of at least 6 months.
Driving training and proficiency test in driving motor vehicles
The proficiency test is based on provisions of Annex II to Directive 2006/126/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on driving licences, transposed into the Slovak legal order by Decree No 9/2009.
The proficiency test comprises a theory exam and a driving test. The special exam comprises only a driving test.
The theory exam has the form of a test. The driving test is divided into two parts – the first part of the test is performed at a training ground or in another suitable area with the exclusion of road traffic, the second part is performed in road traffic conditions, including city traffic.
Bodies conducting the proficiency test
The proficiency tests and special exams are held by police departments – district traffic inspectorates in the seat of the district and regional traffic inspectorates in Bratislava and Košice.
Last modified: 22. 2. 2021
Publication date: 3. 5. 2016
The responsible person:
Ministry of the Interior of the Slovak Republic