1. Obtaining qualifications in Slovakia
Information on this website concerns education of adults over the age of 18, who are no longer enrolled in formal education.
Recognition of prior learning and validation of learning outcomes from non-formal and informal learning as well as verification and assessment of professional competences of a natural person according to the qualification standard and assessment standard for the given qualification are carried out based on an exam taken at the relevant educational institution.
If you want to obtain qualifications in Slovakia, complete the relevant accredited educational programme of your interest at an educational institution in the country. Information on individual programmes is available in the Further Education Information System (only in Slovak).
Educational programmes are conducted in the national language. Applicable fees are determined by the relevant educational institutions.
After completing an accredited educational programme or after adequately demonstrating a minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the relevant field, you can apply for an exam to verify your professional competences. If you pass the exam, you will obtain the qualifications.
The exam to verify your competences is conducted in the national language. The applicable fee is determined by the relevant institution, but may not exceed EUR 300. Information on the exams (only in Slovak) is available in the Further Education Information System.
An applicant for an exam (candidate) can be anyone who, at the latest on the day of the exam, has reached the age of 18 and has completed compulsory school attendance in line with special legislation and meets these conditions:
The candidate should attach to the application for the exam:
- an authenticated copy of a document certifying educational attainment;
- an authenticated copy of a certificate on completion of an accredited educational programme for a partial or full qualification for which verification is requested, or a confirmation from the employer of having at least 5 years of professional experience in the relevant field;
- a health fitness certificate for performing the work concerned, if required;
- proof of payment of the fee.
If the complete documentation is not submitted, the candidate will not be allowed to take the exam for verification of professional competences.
2. Frequently asked questions and answers
- Is it possible to complete an education programme or take an exam in a foreign language?
Educational programmes as well as exams are conducted in the national language.
- Is it possible to obtain a financial contribution to cover in part or full the fee for the programme and exam?
Candidates pay the fee for the programme from their own sources, but it is possible to apply for various programmes with partial coverage of the fees (e.g. REPAS available for jobseekers registered at Labour Offices).
3. Useful links (only in Slovak)